Water Care Guide
Cleaning your Hot Tub, Draining and Re-Filling:
(1) We recommend draining your spa water every 3 to 4 months, depending on use. If your spa has a Salt System, changing your spa water is only necessary every 12 months. Before you drain your spa, remove the filter(s) add 1/2 bottle of Jetline Cleaner and run the spa for 1-2 hours then drain the water. This will help remove bacteria and bio-film from your plumbing pipes and keep the new freshwater crystal clear.
(2) Using a cotton rag or sponge, clean your spa shell with All Purpose Cleaner. Rinse with fresh water and dry spa with large towels.
(3) The filter(s) should be hosed off weekly and soaked in a proprietary filter solution every month or more frequently for high bather loads. Soak or spray filter(s) overnight in Filter Cleaner and rinse well before replacing in spa.
(4) Replace with new Scum Bugs or Scum Balls at this time. These will help absorb body oils and lotions that fall off the skin when soaking in the spa.
(5) Refill spa with a Carbon Pre-Filter to help remove unwanted contaminants from the source of your water. Fill to the manufactures recommended water level. If you do not have a water level marker then the water line should be approximately halfway up the top skimmer.
(6) If filling your spa from a water softener source with high salt levels, you will need to add Calcium Hardness Increaser. Add accordingly and use your test strip to ensure you are in the proper range.
(1) Once the temperature of your hot tub reaches about 80 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius), you can start adding chemicals. Warm water will allow the granular chemicals to dissolve properly. Remember, never add two chemicals at the same time, allow each chemical to dissolve on its own for at least 15 minutes before you add the next chemical product.
(2) Use a Test Strip and adjust the pH of the water to 7.6 – 8.2 by adding either 1 capful (2 ounces) of up or pH/Alk down (add pH up if the pH tests low and vice versa). Allow the water to filter for 3-4 hours before retesting the pH to ensure a proper test strip reading. **This may take a few days to get in range.
(3) Add 1 full bottle of Metal Gone on startup only and 4 ounces of Stain and Scale Preventer orUnique. Adding Metal Gone and Stain and Scale Preventer or Unique will help remove the unwanted metals like rust, manganese and iron from your water and will help clarify the water and reduce scaling deposits.
(4) Add 4 ounces of Shock Oxidizer to help remove the impurities out of the fresh water.
(5) Test and adjust the alkalinity of the water. The ideal range is between 80-100. Add Alkalinity Up to raise the alkalinity of the water or add pH/Alk down to lower the alkalinity. Add in increments of 2 ounces and allow the water to filter for 3-4 hours before retesting the alkalinity to ensure a proper test strip reading. **This may take a few days to get in range
Sanitizing Options For Your Water:
Never mix bromine and chlorine together.
- Bromine Concentrate System (NO TABLETS): Add 2 ounces of Bromine Concentrate on startup only. Add 1 ounce of Bromine Concentrate every few days to activate the bromine in the water. Add more frequently if testing indicates low bromine levels.
- Bromine Tablets System: Fill floating dispenser with 1″ Bromine Tabs and set the floater on the middle range setting and place in spa water. Add 2 oz. of Bromine Concentrate on startup only since the bromine tablets will not dissolve for at least 24 hours. The floater should always contain 1″ Bromine Tablets and remain in the water. Check floater every week and refill when needed. If high bromine levels are constantly detected, set the floater to the lowest range setting and reduce the number of bromine tablets in the floater until the bromine level is back to normal range according to the test strip.
- Granular Chlorine System: Add 2 ounces of Granular Chlorine on startup only. Add 1 ounce every couple days or more frequently if testing requires.
If you are new to water maintenance, test your spa water daily to ensure you have a proper sanitizer level
(1) Use your test strip and test your water for Bromine (if using bromine), Chlorine (if using chlorine), pH and alkalinity levels. Remember, never add two chemicals at the same time, allow each chemical to dissolve on its own for at least 15 minutes before you add the next chemical product.
(2) Adjust pH to 7.6 – 8.2 and Alkalinity between 80- 100.
(3) Add 2 ounces of Stain and Scale Preventer or Unique on a weekly basis.
(4) Add 2 ounces of Shock Oxidizer and leave the spa cover open for at least 15 minutes on a weekly basis. This allows the impurities to gas out.
(5) Repeat sanitation and follow the instructions in the “sanitizing options” section above (add bromine or chlorine as needed per test strip reading).
(6) Hose off the filter cartridge with fresh water or more frequently if you have a large bather load.
(7) Squeeze out Scum Bugs or Scum Balls (not in hot tub water)
(8) Top off water level if needed.
- Tim Maxwell